Loma-Väkkärä was established on a farm by the name of “Ylä-Väkkärä” in the community of Suomenniemi in South Karelia, Finland. The area is rich in history, having once been the border of the Swedish and Russian empires from 1743 to 1809. In fact, the border of the farm marked the border of the empires, and the farm’s land was situated on the Russian side. The three farm buildings were once occupied by so-called “border riders”. The unusual name “Väkkärä” is thought to have come from the Swedish word “Väckare” meaning alarm clock.
Ylä-Väkkärä (“Upper Väkkärä”) was typical of farms in South Karelia, with fields, forests and dairy cattle. The first farmer with our surname Kauria (Matti) took over the farm in 1821. The main building that stands today was built in 1897. Milk was the farm’s main business all the way until 2005. After a serious accident involving Pekka, the head of the farm, dairy operations were discontinued. The fields are still cultivated by us, however, and the forests are an important source of income.